Sunday, January 23, 2011

Procrastination Pro: A week before Departure

In five days I will depart for Kampala, Uganda. I am very excited for this.

However, in typical fashion, I have procrastinated to the point of misery and now have to rally to accomplish months of preparation in five days.

Thus, my to-do list:
1. Call the Ugandan embassy and inquire as to where my pass-port and visa are: In a rare moment of forward thinking, I mailed in my passport and visa application to the embassy in November. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive these rather important items back.
2. Pay my GW tuition bill so I'm not kicked out of my study abroad program while in Uganda: this sounds simple, but I have had too many close calls in the past.
3. Convince my doctor to write me another prescription for anti-malaria medicine since I accidentally threw away my first one.
4. Get another World Health Organization vaccination sheet: You have to have proof receiving the yellow fever vaccination. I lost that somewhere in route between DC and KC.
5. Skim the 15 plus books I was supposed to read about Uganda pre-departure....
6. Figure out exactly when my plane leaves and from what terminal: this sounds like a no-brainer, but I once missed a flight because I didn't know which airline I was flying on and wander around the airport for a half hour before figuring it out. Not my best moment. I also missed a flight once because I thought it left an hour later than it actually did.
7. Pack four months worth of stuff into a camping  back-pack.
8. Buy gifts for my host family. I'm thinking some Kansas City BBQ sauce.
9. Skype all of my DC and Michigan friends before I'm out of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment