Saturday, February 12, 2011

Quick Post Before Rwanda

I have exactly 6 minutes and 28 seconds before my internet allowance at the internet cafe runs out. I'll have to make this quick.

This week has been cool. I now officially have a Ugandan family complete with a mom, grandma, sister, and 5 brothers. I like them all.

Here's the cool stuff I did this week:

1. Went to the Buganda Palace (a tribal group in Africa) and got to see the torture chambers of Idia Min. Blood splattered all over the walls, death wishes written on the walls, etc. It was a cool part of history that I had studied at GW and I got to see it in real life.

2. Introduce my Ugandan brothers to "99 Problems" by Jay-Z. They thought they liked Jay-Z, but now a whole new level of love has emerged.

3. Intoduce my Ugandan family to BBQ sauce. And not just any BBQ sauce, Gates BBQ sauce. They're in love. And want more.


4. Learn about the Ugandan health care system. It's shockingly bad...the government spends only an average of $10 per person per year...I want to research more about it.

5. Get proposed to by an African man on a taxi ride. I said no...

That's about all I have time for. I will be in Rwanda for the next 3 weeks while the elections occur in Kampala. Hopefully Uganda isn't the next Egypt. I'll have to do a post about how crazy it's been pre-election. But that's all for now...

I miss everyone back home in the states!

No comments:

Post a Comment